415.861.1139
Cart 0 items: $0.00
Maritime Wine Club
 
September 24, 2021 | Wine Club Tasting Notes | Maritime Wine Club

September Wine Club Tasting Notes

Broccardo “La Martina” Barbera D’Alba DOC 2018 – Piemonte, Italy – 100% Barbera

We’re returning to Italy this month with a few Tasting Studio favorites. The Broccardo Barbera D’Alba is a traditional style of Piemonte red. The scent is fine, vinous and fruity, with pleasant notes of violet. The mouthfeel is soft and balanced, with very intense notes of ripe black cherry and finishes with gusto. Fermentation is done in stainless steel tanks before it’s aged about 10 months in large tonneaux and barriques so you won’t find much oakyness here. Barbera is known for being an incredibly versatile food wine. The Broccardo family winery was established in 1900 and today, third generation brother and sisters, winemaker Filippo, Laura and Federica, are the culmination of experience and the vineyards that have been passed down from their parents and grandparents.

Tenuta Di Aglaea “Thalia” Etna Rosso DOC 2017 – Sicily, Italy – 100% Nerello Mascalese

The story of Tenuta Di Aglaea actually begins in Norway where agricultural renaissance woman, Anne-Louise Mikkelsen was born, before relocating to Italy later in life to start her winery in the unforgiving landscape at the base of the active volcano, Mount Etna. Her love of her adopted homeland is present in her wines. The Thalia is strawberry red in the glass and expresses itself in a light and elegant manner. It opens up perfumed with delicate mineral aromas particular of the lava soil, a firm body, and fresh fruit notes accompanied by gentle tannins. It’s soft and delicate and grows more food friendly with age. We recommend paring with most Sicilian cuisine, lamb, grilled eggplant, or any poultry. In fact, if it somehow happens to stay unopened long enough, we recommend it for Thanksgiving dinner!

Livon “Solarco” Friulano & Ribolla Gialla DOC Collio Bianco 2019 – Collio, Friuli Venizia Giulia, Italy – Friulano & Ribolla Gialla Blend

Dorino Livon, is one of the most successful and recognized Friulan winemakers. Dorino Livon acquired his first vineyards on the Collio hills in 1964, and slowly, plot by plot he expanded his property establishing the Azienda Agricola Livon estate. As with Broccardo, the winery is now under the direction of the third generation of the family. This wine is super unique and firmly announces itself in the glass with an incredibly aromatic nose full of citrus mixed with gentle toasted vanilla notes. On the palate it is very fine, it recalls apples, acacia, and tropical fruit abound. The mouthfeel and finish is lush due to 20% of fermentation taking place in Allier barriques, and the remaining 80% in steel tanks. It’s sure to fit the bill wherever a Sauvignon Blanc is appropriate, perfect as an aperitif, a pleasant sipper with fried food, and can match nicely with all kinds of Eastern European cuisine as well.

Comments

Commenting has been turned off.
Recent Posts
Blog Categories
Menu